Monday, March 19, 2012

Planning Ahead

Here may be my biggest problem.  I continue to say I'm going to plan out my meals for the week and stock up on everything I need during the weekend.  I'm great at it for a week or 2 then it's back to my same old habits and back to the same old food.

I really wish I could be one of those moms that make a bunch of meals, then throw them in the freezer, pull it out the day of and voila! Dinner is served. As it turns out while we live in the Netherlands our freezer is the size of a small dorm fridge so unless I want to be running to the store everyday I have to use it for meat and Jackson's veggie purees (hoping to be done with those soon).  It generally turns out I still have to run to the store every day but hey we try!

So back to planning the meals each week.  I'm going to do it!  I'm pretty sure with you all watching it will make me more accountable. So here it goes week 1.  Some of these are our "staple" foods but we have visitors coming that we would like to share with them our new found Dutch cuisine.  So this week seems to be a freeby.  I know I can't have a new meal each and everyday. That would be exhausting but I'm going to try for at least 2 new meals a week for a while! (Wish me luck!)

Monday: Homemade chicken nuggets and egg fried rice, strawberries
Tuesday: Mini chicken bagel burgers, broccoli and fruit
Wednesday: Schnitzel, mashed potatoes and fruit
Thursday: Pannenkoken with bacon and apple syrup
Friday: Moussaka and noodles with cheese for Jackson


If you don't know schnitzel is basically a pork tenderloin that you fry up so nothing to report recipe wise.  It's delicious and we love it. 

Pannenkoken are Dutch pancakes and I know there are tons of recipes out there but I buy the box (I know shame on me) that says just add milk :)





No comments:

Post a Comment